Sweet Eats

Easter may have been on April 1st, but we’re willing to bet you’re still wading through the piles of wrappers and finding that fake Easter basket grass in places you never thought possible. We thought it would be fun to enlighten our readers with some Easter candy facts so that next year  you can impress all your friends with your wealth of knowledge. Providing you still have all of your teeth.

$2.4 BILLION
That’s how much Americans have spent on candy alone. When you factor in clothing, food, decorations, and other items such as gifts, the number jumps to roughly $17 billion.

87%
Percentage of parents who will buy or make Easter baskets for their kids. And 81% of them will steal candy from them. The other 19% live in California, Oregon, and Washington state.

90,000,000
That’s how many chocolate Easter bunnies are produced each year.

16,000 lbs.
The weight of the largest Easter egg ever made according to the Guinness Book of World Records. The egg was made in 2011 and was just over 34 ft. tall.

6 grams less
The amount Cadbury Creme eggs weigh in the US opposed to its native UK.

PEEPS
Each Easter season, Americans buy more than 700 million Marshmallow Peeps, shaped like chicks, as well as Marshmallow Bunnies and Marshmallow Eggs, making them the most popular non-chocolate Easter candy.

As many as 5 million Marshmallow Peeps, bunnies, and other shapes are made each day in preparation for Easter.

In 1953, it took 27 hours to create a Marshmallow Peep. Today it takes six minutes.

Yellow Peeps are the most popular, followed by pink, lavender, blue, and white.

JELLY BEANS
Americans consume 16 billion jellybeans at Easter, many of them hidden in baskets. If all the Easter jellybeans were lined end to end, they would circle the globe nearly three times.

Jellybeans did not become an Easter tradition until the 1930s. They were probably first made in America by Boston candy maker William Schrafft, who ran advertisements urging people to send jellybeans to soldiers fighting in the Civil War.

Children indicate their favorite Easter jellybean flavors are cherry (20%), strawberry (12%), grape (10%), lime (7%), and blueberry (6%).


About


'Sweet Eats' has no comments

Be the first to comment this post!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Created by SMV Texas - Boerne based web-ninjas SMV Texas Design Group for EXPLORE Magazine